Pages

Tuesday 26 February 2008

Glass paints

I've decided I might just eke out my photos and blog them gradually over the next few days. Don't want to burn out too soon, eh?

So, today we have a title of glass paints. I've been using mine a lot lately. The Christmas cards in yesterday's thread show four of the cards I've made lately - here are a couple more...





The idea is simple - get a suitable peel-off, stick it to acetate (or glass if you need something more substantial), and fill in the gaps with glass paint. I find the fill and flood technique works best - otherwise the colours get too weak. You do need to ensure that you keep your work flat until it dries, otherwise you end up with a mess when the colours run due to gravity. This can make it quite interesting if you're working on a multi-faceted object (which we'll look at tomorrow, maybe), not to mention time consuming. But it is possible to do a lot of work quite quickly when working with cards.

Once dry, the acetate is then mounted using double-sided tape. The best cards to use are double apertured ones but you can't get these in a wide variety of sized or shapes. I tend to either make my own, or alter the ones I have to suit. A single aperture card can be used and a second aperture cut so that you see the light shining through. If I only have an ordinary single-fold card, I cut the aperture, and then cut some matching paper or card for the inside to cover the DS tape.

Paints - mostly I use spirit based glass paints, but I have also got Pebeo Vitrea 160. These are paints that you bake in the oven at 160 degrees to "fix" them, and they're supposedly dishwasher safe. They're excellent - although the colours aren't always as rich, the variety is great, and they also have some fantastic "effect" glass paints, like crackle, and irridescent. I'd dig out some of my work with these, except that it's all boxed and in the attic..... no space!

Catch you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Jo said...

Great to see some more of your fantastic work Diane *claps* I'm blown away by your glass paint cards WOWSA!!!!!!

The Button Witch said...

Absolutely stunning Diane I love this techneque must give it a go I have some glass paints sitting doing nothing too

Related Posts with Thumbnails