Pages

Wednesday 8 May 2024

WOYWW 779

No snappy title from me this week.  Not even any photographs this time.  Nor a desk.

The saddest news - on Thursday 2nd May, 2024, my beloved mother finally joined my father in eternal rest. Her passing was not unexpected, not a shock.  We had been expecting it for some time - she was 92, after all, and in September 2020 diagnosed with chronic cardiac failure.  She'd been in and out of hospital since September last year, and the last two months were spent in a lovely care home in Braintree, Essex.

The Friday before, Mum was admitted to hospital again for the sixth time in 8 months, with her heart rate and BP  fluctuating quite wildly.  Ultimately, by the Tuesday she had contracted hospital acquired pneumonia, and at 19:20pm on Thursday breathed her last.

My sister and niece were with her at the end, and she went peacefully and quietly into the arms of her God.

I feel honoured to have known her, let alone be her daughter.  She was not without her quirks, but she was steadfast in her faith, and had love for all (occasionally a somewhat judgy quip too but we won't dwell on that!) opening her heart and her door to many through the years. Grandma to all children - even those not related to her - and as my eldest niece put it when she was a small bean "Grandma from London has sweeties in her bag" generous to a fault.  

Mum was very much a creative herself.  A demon with the knitting needles, she taught herself to crochet much later in life, and took to it like a duck to water.  She wasn't adverse to wielding an embroidery needle, and stitched a few beautiful pieces with enthusiasm if slightly lacking in skill.  Mostly, she was an adept on the sewing machine.  I don't believe she ever had any formal tuition, but her entire life she made clothes for us and costumes for the stage school and amateur dramatic society she ran.  Mum rather jealously guarded her machine, and whilst she - without hesitation - encouraged us to sew and bought me my first machine, it was more than my life was worth to ever risk touching hers! Mum also painted during my childhood, reasonable works of art (though no great master) in oil and she loved Nancy Kominski's tv programmes. A genuine and happy dabbler in most things, card making included.


Mum missed my father greatly, and when the time came, confirmed to us that she was ready to go. She will be so very missed by us all.


Constance Ware (Fenn)

1931-2024

6 comments:

Crafting With Jack said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your mother sounds like a lovely person. Words seem so inadequate at a time like this, but you and your family are in my prayers. Sending love. Angela #13

Helen said...

oh, Morti, I am so sorry to read this post, but what a lovely, creative caring person your Mum sounds. Sending big hugs. Helen xx

Sarah Brennan said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your mum sounds like she was such a lovley person. Stay safe. Sarah #3

Lisa-Jane Johnson said...

Oh Morti. It doesn't matter how long it's been coming for, it's still so hard to bear when the time does come. I lost my own mother last February but we were estranged (my choice) and I had no chance to say goodbye - she even withheld that from me. I'm always a little jealous of people who are so close to their mums or even those who had a good relationship with them. I'm glad you had so many years with your mum who you clearly adored and I loved hearing about her crafty talents too. Wishing you love and strength, Lisa-Jane #10

Mary Anne said...

So sorry for your loss. It's the reality than no matter how "expected" a loss is, it is never anything but a bit of a shock anyway. And it is so hard, even when they are unwell, even when they struggled for a time. I wish my mom were close, and my dad. I know they are not going to be around forever, but every time I just hope to squeeze in one more trans-Atlantic flight and one more visit before they go. Thinking of you and sending much love.

Mary Anne (7)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Sorry to hear your news, sadly time and age is one thing we cannot stop. Take care and sending hugs Angela x12x

Related Posts with Thumbnails